Coordinates: 56°09′29″N 3°51′25″W / 56.158°N 3.857°W / 56.158; -3.857
Upper Menstrie Glen from NS853981 looking WNW
Menstrie Glen is the glen which separates Dumyat from Myreton Hill and the main body of the Ochil Hills in Scotland. Once farmed but no longer inhabited, it is now used for sheep pasture, a public water supply and recreation in the form of fishing and walking. A plan is under consideration (autumn 2014) for commercial forestry on the eastern and northern flanks of the Glen.
1 Vegetation and topography
3 Access and recreation
5 External links
Vegetation and topography
Jerah and the Lossburn Reservoir looking west
Much of the area of the glen is rough pasture where sheep graze. Bracken is also abundant while broad-leaved trees grow in the deeply cut burnsides and in the vicinity of abandoned settlements.
The bed of the glen ranges in altitude from 228m, at the saddle at UK Grid reference NN819002, to about 20m where it emerges onto the flood plain in Menstrie at NS849970.
Near its upper (west) end, the glen contains the Lossburn Reservoir which holds drinking water and is used for recreational fishing. The reservoir accepts water from the north-western slopes of Dumyat and from the south-western slopes of Loss Hill. An earth embankment seemingly designed to divert compensation water around the north side of the reservoir has been breached so the Menstrie Burn relies for its flow mainly on the streams entering the watercourse below the dam.
Below the reservoir, the Loss Burn is joined by the Crunie Burn to form the Menstrie Burn. This, in turn, is augmented by the Third, Second and First Inchna Burns (in the order in which they join) and which drain the southwestern slopes of Colsnaur Hill. The Second Inchna Burn and part of the Menstrie Burn downstream lie along the boundary between Stirlingshire (to the west) and Clackmannanshire.
The history of settlement and land-use from 1450 to the mid-20th century has been published.
In medieval times, much of Menstrie Glen was Crown land and used mainly to pasture sheep.
The Campbells of Argyll had come into possession of the land east of the Menstrie Burn by the early 14th century and, up to at least 1530, the lands of Jerah were controlled by the Cistercians of Culross.
In the 18th century ownership of the glen passed to local lairds. Farmsteads, of which there were then more than a dozen, were operated by t